Saturday, January 11, 2014

~ Music & Religion | Part I ~

All religions have embraced music in some form or another for the devotion of God. What one classifies/perceives as God could manifest into another post, so let's not go that way. Not really sure if Islam forbids people from listening or performing music. Sufism, the branch of Islam, has different thought on music. Many of the Sufi musicians perform in way to surrender themselves to God. 

William Dalrymple's "Sufi Soul" takes you into the mystical & musical side of Islam across Syria, Turkey, Pakistan, Morocco & India. 
For hundreds of millions of Sufi followers worldwide, music is at the heart of their tradition and a way of getting closer to God. From the Whirling Dervishes of Turkey to the qawwali music of Pakistan, Sufism has produced some of the world's most spectacular music celebrated by Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Dalrymple's film traces the shared roots of Christianity and Islam in the Middle East and discovers Sufism to be a peaceful, tolerant and pluralistic bastion against fundamentalism.



“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.” ― Albert Einstein

No comments: